Gallery with alias: burchten not found
The water castle Rittersdorf belonged to the loan of the counts of Luxembourg and as such it was mentioned for the first time in a charter of 1263.
Situated besides the Nims, the castle was intended to secure the path from Bitburg to Prüm. The complex was acknowledged by King Rudolf of Habsburg in 1290. The round tower, built in 1290, is the oldest part of the fortress.
Four of the seven floors were used as living quarters equipped with sitting areas, fireplaces and toilet. The stairs are built into the walls. Opposite the tower is the main building, which was founded in the 15th century. On the ground floor, a central pillar with cross vault can be seen. The facade of the main building and the main building were built around 1575. These show some rich Renaissance decoration.
In 1978 the castle was dilapidated, but was supported and purchased by the town association Bitburg-Land. After a construction period of about nine years, its impressive exterior was recaptured. The complete restoration and renovation of the complex was completed in 2000, after the keep had also bee restored to its former status. A museum is found on the second floor of the Renaissance building . There are 60 oven plates from a private collection to see, as well as a gallery with works by artists from the region and old furniture and machinery.
More Information: 0049 (0) 6561-66-0 and www.bitburg-land.de.